Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Are there veggies in this?!

I am quite proud. Even if I do say so myself! Tonight, I successfully made a meal that was both deceptive and delicious! hehehe. For any of you out there with children.....you know the kind I am talking about.....the ones that won't eat their veggies, yeah those ones.....I am relating to you right now. Our boys won't touch anything green! Boy # 1 is learning well how to try one bite and let us know "I don't care for this". It's a far cry from 2 weeks ago when the first bite into a vegetable was quickly followed by a chewed up piece of something resembling a veggie, spewed out onto his plate while "EW", and "ICKY ICKY ICKY", came soon after! They are both improving in LEAPS and BOUNDS!!!
So, fighting the battle of "you eat what is on your plate" will come a bit later....for now, since they are so new to us we are trying to get them back in GOOD health and get them more accustomed to healthy foods whichever secretive way that I can. Which brings me to my "special s-getti sauce" (that's kid talk for spaghetti). I make my own sauce from canned tomato sauce and this time I decided to try something new. I took my can of sauce, my spices, and chopped up carrots, cabbage and zucchini and pureed it all in our vita mixer. Added some ground turkey and whole wheat noodles and we had a SUPER healthy meal that the kids GOBBLED up!!! Little did they know that close to HALF of the sauce was actually purred vegetables. My hubby didn't even notice either! The strong acidic taste of the tomato sauce over powered any kind of veggie taste. Score one for me!!
A buddy of mine told me about a book that I am waiting to be returned to the library so that I can snatch it up and learn many more ways to get the good stuff into the kids. Have you heard of it? Anyone tried anything out of it yet? It is....

No comments:

Post a Comment